Graduate Data Engineer
At Audio Analytic we’ve built a market for artificial audio intelligence within the high-volume consumer electronics sector, and we’ve signed a number of high-profile marquee customers. We’re recognised as the leaders in the field of AI and sound recognition both by our customers and by market commentators such as IDC and Wired.
You’ll play a critical role in collecting and organising the large volumes of data that is absolutely crucial to the development of our sound recognition algorithms. If you want to be part of a highly innovative company at the cutting edge of technology, building out the first comprehensive library for the taxonomy of sounds, we would love to hear from you.
As a key member of the Data Engineering Team, you will be exposed to the full data-lifecycle. From innovating novel approaches to data collection, to running bespoke data collection campaigns, to subsequent data processing and secure storage in our internal data platform.
Your primary responsibilities will include
- Collecting audio data recordings in our semi-anechoic chamber, out-and-about, and with some of our external volunteers
- Processing audio recordings to make them suitable for upload for secure storage in our data platform, Alexandria™
- Developing tooling to improve data handling and processing efficiency
- Working with the other research and development teams to understand data requirements to support new sound profile development and evaluation.
Work in the Data Engineering team is extremely varied and exciting. Whether we’re recording the sounds of dogs barking, smashing windows, or developing faster ways to process data, the work is always fun with many interesting challenges.
Skills and experience
- Ability to understand complex problems and to develop robust and efficient engineering solutions
- Experience with the Python scripting language
- Experience using Linux and the command line
- A willingness to learn and develop new skills
- An interest in sound and audio
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience handling large amounts of data, such as using Excel or databases
- Practical knowledge of Python libraries such as NumPy, scipy, pandas and matplotlib.
If you were to create a word cloud that captured your personal attributes, it would need to include words like articulate, empathetic, analytical, practical and diplomatic. Those qualities will help you settle in and make a real difference from day one, which is really important to us – we want you to love what you do.
Working here is intellectually challenging and rewarding, and we have fun. We are a very open company with a flat hierarchy and a collaborative and positive culture; we don’t stand on ceremony or behind titles, and we have a relaxed but “get it done” approach to everything we do. In order to be successful here you’ll need to be able to embrace all our values and thrive within them, building relationships and communicating effectively with colleagues right across the business.
A bachelor’s (first-class honours or upper second-class honours) or master’s degree in a numerical or natural science subject.
Offices are in Cambridge City centre. Casual dress code, informal and sociable atmosphere, and a good work/life balance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We offer a highly competitive range of benefits to help you live well, plan ahead and have fun. These include free gym membership, private healthcare, life assurance and free pizza.