Head of Software and Systems
At Audio Analytic, we have built a market for artificial audio intelligence within the high-volume consumer electronics sector, and we’ve signed a number of high-profile marquee customers. We are recognised as the leaders in the field of AI and sound recognition both by our customers and by market commentators such as IDC and Wired.
We are looking for a Head of Software and Systems to play an instrumental role in further advancing the platforms, tools and processes that underpin our exceptional audio machine learning products. You will be an experienced, understanding and empathetic leader for our talented group of software and systems engineers.
You will have responsibility for the work and performance of three technical teams: platforms, embedded software and systems engineering. Key elements of the role include:
- Owning the software strategy and aligning it with the wider engineering and business strategies
- Line management of engineering leads
- Recruiting engineers and coordinating their training and development
- Supporting the team with insightful coaching and mentoring
- Acting as product owner in one of our engineering scrum teams, defining and prioritising the backlog
- Coordinating the work across our software and systems teams
- Collaborating and maintaining strong relationships with other heads of engineering to ensure their needs are met
- Supporting our senior systems engineer to help identify and prioritise infrastructure improvements and ensure that all systems operate effectively and securely
- Keeping abreast of new technologies and industry best practices such as MLOps, and sharing this knowledge with the teams
- Continuous improvement of processes; defining and monitoring metrics.
Skills and personal attributes
- Your leadership and interpersonal skills inspire the people around you, and your dependability allows you to build trust and collaborate effectively with multiple teams
- Your excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail mean that you can explain things simply, clearly and accurately to diverse audiences
- You can quickly understand and decompose large business problems, backing up decisions and recommendations with effective analysis
- Your grounding in machine learning fundamentals means you can engage with technical innovation and challenges in equal measure, and your connection with skilled engineers means you’re not afraid to ask for more information
- You are a firm believer in the power of the team, and your positive and pragmatic attitude energises the people around you
- You are not afraid to roll up your metaphorical (or sometimes physical) sleeves and get stuck in when you see gaps that need filling
- Your passion for engineering and leadership shines through, and you want to bring your experience and wisdom to this key position in our company
- You are a dedicated coach and mentor with a proven ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- You have a high level of integrity and commitment to excellence.
Education and experience
- Degree education
- Deep experience as a software engineer followed by at least 5 years in an engineering management role. You will also have substantial experience with engineering infrastructure as well as software.
Offices are in Cambridge City centre. Casual dress code, informal and sociable atmosphere, and a good work / life balance. Most of us are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. As more people return to the office, where jobs allow, we will support flexible working in terms of days spent in or away from the office.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We offer a highly competitive range of benefits to help you live well, plan ahead and have fun. These include free gym membership, private healthcare, life assurance and free pizza.