Junior Systems Administrator
At Audio Analytic we’ve built a market for artificial audio intelligence within the high-volume consumer electronics sector, and we’ve signed a number of high-profile marquee customers. We’re recognised as the leaders in the field of AI and sound recognition both by our customers and by market commentators such as IDC and Wired.
As a Junior Systems Administrator, you will be an IT generalist, doing a bit of everything, for everybody. You will be supporting a user population with varying skill and experience levels, setting up and maintaining Windows desktops, Linux virtual machines and Linux servers. You will be an important part of Audio Analytic, ensuring everyone has what they need, from a smooth-running PC to enough deep learning computation.
The principal part of the role is to assist our Senior Systems Engineer to create, improve and maintain our infrastructure and processes that power the following key areas:
- Our internal office network and associated hardware, including people’s laptops.
- Our big data platform, with a focus on data storage and scientific computing. Machine learning is at the heart of what we do and this requires huge amounts of audio data and computational resources.
- Backups for all of the above.
A large part of this role will be user support, solving problems, answering technical queries and interfacing between users and suppliers, raising support tickets for those things that we don’t yet know how to resolve.
You’ll also be working with AWS as well as our own servers, using technologies such as Ansible together with custom shell and Python scripts to glue everything together. We’ll encourage you to keep automating and to create and maintain documentation for all our systems. Occasionally we may need your help out of hours.
Skills and experience
You will need to have experience in the following areas. You may have gained this experience from a previous role; if not, it may have been as a hobby, for example.
- Linux command line skills (Ubuntu is used at Audio Analytic, but other Linuxes count, too)
- Windows desktop administration skills
- Linux administration
- Scripting (bash, python)
- Previous experience in a computer/user support role
- A basic understanding of the fundamentals of computer technology such as networking, storage systems and information security.
- Configuration management (Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
If you were to create a word cloud that captured your personal attributes, it would need to include words like articulate, empathetic, analytical, practical and diplomatic. Those qualities will help you settle in and make a real difference from day one, which is really important to us – we want you to love what you do.
Working here is intellectually challenging and rewarding, and we have fun. We are a very open company with a flat hierarchy and a collaborative and positive culture; we don’t stand on ceremony or behind titles, and we have a relaxed but ‘get it done’ approach to everything we do. In order to be successful here, you’ll need to be able to embrace all our values and thrive within them, building relationships and communicating effectively with colleagues right across the business.
For this role you’ll also need to be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Excellent problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
- Persistence – making sure issues and tasks get followed through to completion
- Keen to learn – nobody knows it all; you’ll need to be happy learning and passing on that knowledge as you go
No degree is necessary, but you are likely to have good grades at A-level or equivalent.
Offices are in Cambridge City centre. Casual dress code, informal and sociable atmosphere, and a good work/life balance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We offer a highly competitive range of benefits to help you live well, plan ahead and have fun. These include free gym membership, private healthcare, life assurance and free pizza.