Machine Learning Product Owner
At Audio Analytic we’ve built a market for artificial audio intelligence within the high-volume consumer electronics sector, and we’ve signed several high-profile marquee customers. We’re recognised as the leaders in the field of AI and sound recognition both by our customers and by market commentators such as IDC and Wired.
We are looking for a product owner to help us extend our sound recognition technology into new markets and deliver more world-leading products.
You’ll be based in our Cambridge office, which is right in the middle of town. For a fast-paced company, our culture is what you’d expect: relaxed, fun, close-knit, hardworking and very rewarding.
The role is to be a product owner in one of our scrum teams. Responsibilities of our product owners include:
- Managing the backlog for the team.
- Assessing value, developing business cases and prioritising stories and epics to ensure work focusses on that which has maximum value and is aligned with the product strategy.
- Providing elaboration of stories including definitions of done.
- Defining sprint goals and, alongside the scrum master, helping mitigate impediments to successful team completion of those goals.
In terms of what is particular to this role, you will be:
- Helping assess the value of new sound recognition abilities.
- Defining and prioritising sound recognition stories. As part of this, you’ll need to develop an understanding of the sounds we want to recognise, the environments we want to recognise them in, and the devices we want to recognise them on for new use cases.
- Defining and prioritising stories for the data we need for training and evaluating sound recognition.
- Discussing with our machine learning engineers and other product owners the benefits of proposed methods to improve sound recognition, to assist with prioritisation.
- Analysing sound recognition performance results and presenting key findings.
- Helping refine our sound recognition development processes to assist with the planning of new pieces of work.
- Liaising with other teams to ensure your team has what it needs, e.g. new tooling.
Skills and experience:
Ideally, you will have experience as a technically-minded product owner using agile and scrum in a fast-paced, evolving environment.
Alternatively, you might have been working in a machine learning or data science role and are now keen to become a product owner. You’ll need to have experience with performing aspects of a product owner role – for example, managing backlogs and defining stories – but you may not have been doing this full time up to now.
Either way, familiarity with machine learning methods, and tools such as Jira, will help you in the role.
If you were to create a word cloud that captured your personal attributes, it would need to include words like articulate, empathetic, analytical, practical and diplomatic. Those qualities will help you settle in and make a real difference from day one, which is important to us – we want you to love what you do.
Working at Audio Analytic is intellectually challenging and rewarding, and we have fun. We are a very open company with a flat hierarchy and a collaborative and positive culture; we don’t stand on ceremony or behind titles, and we have a relaxed but ‘get it done’ approach to everything we do. In order to be successful here you’ll need to be able to embrace all our values and thrive within them, building relationships and communicating effectively with colleagues right across the business.
For this role you’ll also need to be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills.
- First-rate stakeholder communication.
- Excellent organization and time management.
Degree education, likely to have been in a STEM subject.
Offices are in Cambridge City centre. Casual dress code, informal and sociable atmosphere, and a good work / life balance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We offer a highly competitive range of benefits to help you live well, plan ahead and have fun. These include free gym membership, private healthcare, life assurance and free pizza every Friday.