July 11, 2018
Survey shows strong consumer appetite for AI in the smart home
An extensive survey of the US and UK has found that consumers want the ‘connected home’ to become the ‘intelligent home’ so that various products like smart speakers and cameras can help keep their homes, families, pets and possessions happy, safe and healthy.
The results of the survey are captured in our report – The 2018 Smart Home Report: AI attitudes and expectations – which can be downloaded for free here.
We commissioned the survey of 6,000 consumers across both countries to understand their attitudes and expectations around artificial intelligence in the smart home and in particular what consumers wanted from both smart speakers and smart cameras.
Our survey shows a strong demand among consumers for products that can use AI to help them, whether that is keeping the home safe and secure, tracking the health of their families or making sure that the music being played adapts to what is going on around them.
In particular, consumers see sound recognition as a key part in the intelligent home, providing devices and associated services with the contextual information on which to base actions and alerts.
- 90% of smart speaker owners want the speakers to listen out for particular sounds that suggest their home is at risk from intruders and 66% want Alexa, Google, Siri and co to interact with them in a more natural way by responding to the sounds of occupants coughing, sneezing and snoring, as well as recognising the sound of a child crying or somebody knocking at the door.
- 79% of consumers would choose a camera that had intelligent sound recognition over one that didn’t. Among those who already own at least one camera, the percentage of those who would choose a product with sound recognition increases to 91%. Plus, sound recognition was listed as the second most important feature on a camera, just behind motion detection.
The report covers a range of topics:
- A snapshot of smart home device ownership and intention to purchase in the next 12 months (smart speakers, cameras, doorbells, locks, lighting and thermostats)
- Attitudes to AI and barriers to adoption
- In-depth analysis of the opportunities across security and safety, health and wellbeing, assisted living, pet wellbeing and safety, music playback, and child wellbeing
- The popular in-home locations and AI applications for smart speakers
- The popular in-home locations and AI applications for smart cameras.
Like this? You can subscribe to our blog and receive an alert every time we publish an announcement, a comment on the industry or something more technical.
About Audio Analytic
Audio Analytic is the pioneer of AI sound recognition software. The company is on a mission to map the world of sounds, offering our sense of hearing to consumer technology. By transferring our sense of hearing to consumer products and digital personal assistants we give them the ability to react to the world around us, helping satisfy our entertainment, safety, security, wellbeing and communication needs.
Audio Analytic’s ai3™ sound recognition software enables device manufacturers and chip companies to equip products with Artificial Audio Intelligence, recognizing and automatically responding to our growing list of sound profiles.